I implore each of you to pay attention to the political direction of our nation. If the Brexit vote has not shaken you, or you need to Google what "Brexit" is then you, perhaps more than anyone, need to start paying attention. Our country will be electing a new President shortly and it is critical that we all not only vote, but do so with a serious understanding of the options in front of us. The long term implications for the direction of our nation and the world are profound.
I humbly submit that there is a core to our country that is far more crucial to the soul of being American than a changeable constitution:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident,
that all men are created equal,
that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,
that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses
yearning to breathe free,
the wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.I lift my lamp beside the golden door."
The following is a list of what I perceive to be the most basic expectations from a leader, merely a step above being human and having a heart beat. Consider this a template, for your use, containing the base qualifications for the job of President of the United States of America:
- Not a womanizer.
- Not a racist.
- Not a person that questions an American's citizenship.
- Not a person that blames an American's actions on an entire religion.
- Not a person that blames an American's actions on non-Americans.
- Intelligent enough to not judge a book by their cover.
- Intelligent enough to try thinking before speaking.
- Intelligent enough to recognize we all need advice from experts.
- And (I cannot believe I need to type this) not someone who said he would like to have sex with his own daughter. Though, perhaps you feel differently about this point.
It is time to stop pretending this is a game where politicians can say and do whatever they like permitting the most asinine ideas equal consideration with common sense. Humanity hates being governed and we all despise those rules that govern us, but our action or inaction is what created the situation we are in today. Government represents the people and it is time that each of us stop blaming and start accepting that this is our country and take responsibility for shaping it.